This Pine Needle Hedgehog Craft is a simple, fun way to use those good old pine needles!
It’s super easy to set up this craft. You’ll need just a few materials to get started. We’re using our Best Play-dough Recipe using Natural Food Dye in this craft, which is the simplest, softest, truly non-toxic play-dough for little hands. Be sure to check it out! You’ll need pine needles to make this hedgehog all prickly, so have fun outside collecting a bunch and enjoy the cooling weather!
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
- Play-dough, beige (try our homemade play-dough recipe using natural food dye!)
- Pine needles
- Toy pizza cutter
- Toy rolling pin
- Small black pom-pom
- Take a large chunk of play-dough and roll it out on the table to create an even layer.
- Using the toy pizza cutter, carefully cut away extra play-dough to make a hedgehog body. You can help your little ones with this step.
- Add the peppercorn for the eye, pressing it in slightly.
- Add the small pom-pom for the nose, pressing it in slightly.
- Now, layer the pine needles starting at the top of the hedgehog and working your way down. Press the pine needles into the play-dough so they stay securely in place.
more fun nature-inspired fall activities
Go on an Autumn hunt for nature’s treasures and arrange your findings onto a tray, add some play-dough and get creative!
This Autumn Leaf Embossing Activity is an easy, nature-inspired activity for kids of all ages!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Fine motor skills (rolling out the play-dough, picking up the peppercorn and pom-pom, picking up and layering the pine needles)
- Sensories (playing with the play-dough, feeling the prickly pine needles and round peppercorn/pom-pom)
- Hand-eye coordination