This Lava Lamp Experiment will be your kids new favorite activity! Super easy to make and super cool to watch!
Lava lamps are cool, who wouldn’t agree. But making your own lava lamp is even cooler. Kids will love the simple steps (with guidance, of course) to create these amazing, colorful bubbling lava lamps. They are surprisingly easy to create. You’ll need oil, water, food dye and Alka Seltzer tablets, that’s it! Have fun with this safe and exciting idea to keep the little ones learning!
RELATED: Milk Experiment
how to make lava lamps quick tutorial
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
- Glass or glass bottle
- Alka-Seltzer tablets
- Food dye
- Begin by coloring 1/2 cup water with food coloring. Be generous with the food coloring to get a nice vibrant color, about 8-10 drops.
- Fill a glass with vegetable oil about 1/2 and then add the colored water.
- Let children take turns adding the Alka-Seltzer tablets to the cup.
Alternatively, you can pour water and oil into a glass, add the food coloring drops and them the alka-seltzer tablet. You’ll get the same result.
TIP- don’t worry about getting the proportions of the water and oil exact, it doesn’t play a big role in creating these lava lamps. They’re there for guidance.
*MAKE SURE TO SUPERVISE THE KIDS WITH THE ALKA-SELTZER TABLETS, MAKING SURE THEY DON’T TAKE THEM IN THEIR MOUTH.
more experiments for kids
Try these Egg Carton Volcanoes to watch cool eruptions!
Have you tried the Milk Experiment, yet? If you haven’t, then try it!
what is my child learning and improving?
- Observing (kids are observing the reaction of the alka-seltzer with the water, watching the colorful bubbling)
- Science (mixing of colors, reactions, watching the oil and water not mix)
- Fine motor skills (grabbing the tablets, putting them into the glass)
Make this fun lava lamp experiment at home with your kids! And if you do, let me know in the comments if your kids loved it!
lace wrist tattoos says
I really liked your blog.Really thank you! Awesome.