This Butterfly Scissor Skills Activity is very easy to set up requiring minimal materials and is super fun for the little ones!
Kids can practice scissor skills, hand-eye coordination as well as fine motor skills all in one activity. Toddlers and preschoolers will love this idea when they see the butterfly glued to their scissors. The idea is for the butterfly to “travel” along the designs up to the flower! They’ll be having fun, all the while improving many important areas of development!
RELATED: Ornament Cutting Activity
watch this video tutorial on how to make Egg Carton volcanoes
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
- Kid-safe scissors
- Card stock (assorted colors)
- Hot glue gun + glue sticks
- Butterfly (can be found at any craft store, mine had a clip)
- Permanent marker
- Cut the card stock into rectangles, about 3″ x 6″. Use different colors of card stock to make this activity attractive for little ones.
- Next, using the permanent marker, draw various designs and a flower at the end. You can do small/large waves, small/large zig-zags, combination of both and straight lines.
- Now, hot glue the butterfly to the tip of the kid-safe scissors. Don’t worry, the butterfly and the hot glue will come of the scissors no problem after you’ve finished this activity. THIS STEP IS FOR ADULTS ONLY.
more scissor skills activities
Try this Ribbon Cutting Tray for never-ending scissors fun!
Improve scissor skills with this Silly Paper Roll Haircuts Activity!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Scissor skills (learning to cut along the lines in various ways and directions)
- Fine motor skills (holding the scissors and paper, opening and closing the scissors using fingers, improving the grip on the scissors)
- Independence (although you always have to supervise a child during any activity, this activity builds independence as well as improves practical life skills and abilities!)
Leave a Reply