These Egg Carton Volcanoes are super easy to make and make a fun recycled idea for kids of all ages!
Kids will love these exploding volcanoes! Perfect as a child’s’ first experiment to see the reaction between baking soda and vinegar. Safe and exciting! Keep reading to see the simple tutorial, list of materials and instructions!
RELATED: Fizzing Ice Cubes Activity
WATCH OUR VIDEO TUTORIAL
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
- Egg carton
- Craft scissors
- Baking soda
- Hot glue gun
- Washable kids paint (orange, red, green)
- Using the craft scissors, cut the middles of the egg carton.
- Cut a piece of cardboard, approximately 4 x 4 inches and glue the egg carton volcanoes onto the cardboard using a hot glue gun (this step is for adults).
- Next, using a funnel (or not, like me lol), place about a tablespoon of baking soda into each section.
- Using the paint, paint the volcanoes to make them look real!
- Pour a bit of vinegar into a bowl.
- Using the dropper, squirt vinegar into the holes of the egg carton volcanoes to watch them erupt!
more experiments for kids
Try these Lava Lamps for a fun science experiment!
This Milk Experiment will get kids excited too!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Fine motor skills (painting with the paintbrush, pinching the droppers and releasing)
- Creativity + imagination (decorating the volcanoes, imagining the volcanoes erupting)
- Experiments (this is great, easy experiment to see the reaction of baking soda with vinegar for even the very little ones)