Spring is here and what’s a better idea than to plant a few seeds with this Planting Seeds Activity!
This activity is super easy to set up! You’ll need an egg carton and a few other supplies to make this activity happen. If you can do it outdoors, by all means, do! It will keep the messes to a minimum 🙂 We did this activity indoors and the kids loved the process. Digging in the soil, making indentations with their fingers and placing a seed is, apparently, so amusing for little learners. The best part? Run to the little tray first thing in the morning to watch for changes. And when that first little sprouts comes up, the kids will be ecstatic…guaranteed!
RELATED: Egg Carton Pom-pom Color Sort
watch our most popular video!
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
materials for planting seeds activity:
- Egg Carton
- Seeds (cucumber, tomato, bell peppers, what ever seed you want!)
- Measuring cup
- Craft scissors
- Spray bottle
- Prepare all of the materials ahead of time.
- Using the craft scissors, cut off the egg carton closing flap and lid.
- Place a little bit of soil using the spoon into each section of the egg carton.
- Using the finger, make an indention of about half inch, or as it says on the seed packet, and place a seed inside. Cover lightly with a little bit of soil.
- Repeat with all of the egg carton sections.
- Using the measuring cup, water each section of the egg carton just a bit. Don’t over water as it will soak the egg carton and you’ll need to place something underneath it.
- Place onto a sunny spot, water with the spray bottle daily and watch the seeds sprout and grow!
more Spring activities for kids
Have fun with this Spring Sensory Bin!
Try this Spring Play-dough Tray to spark your childs’ creativity!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Sensories (digging the soil, planting, smelling, etc.)
- Fine motor skills (using the spoon to scoop the soil, using finger to place the seeds into each hole)
- Observing when the little plants begin to sprout and grow!
Have fun with this Planting Seeds Activity this Spring!