This Paper Plate Caterpillar Craft is a fun craft idea using a paper plate. Easy instructions allow even the littlest ones to follow along to make their own very unique (and hungry) caterpillar! Take a look below for full step by step instructions.
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
materials for paper plate caterpillar craft:
- Paper plates
- Green cardstock
- Pipecleaners (assorted colors)
- Craft scissors
- Googly eyes
- Liquid school glue
- Washable kids paint
- Permanent marker
- Begin by cutting the paper plate in half and then cutting of the ribbed part (this will be our caterpillar).
- Cut a circle out of light/green cardstock (about 2 inches in diameter). Prepare the rest of the materials for the kids to use.
- Let the kids use desired paint colors to paint their caterpillars (striped caterpillars looks super cool!). Let dry.
- Meanwhile, glue on the googly eyes, draw a smile for the caterpillar with the permanent marker and trim/glue the antennae using pipecleaners.
- Once the paint has dried, glue the head of the caterpillar onto the body.
How sweet did they come out? 🙂
More crafts for kids
Kids will love this Paper Snail Craft!
Do you have leftover scraps of paper laying around? This Collage House Craft is an excellent way to use them up in a beautiful way!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Creativity (choosing paint colors, patterns for the caterpillar)
- Fine motor skills (holding the paintbrush, gluing)
- Hand-eye coordination
This craft makes an excellent idea to include in a study unit or simply learn all about caterpillars and butterflies! Book recommended!