This Doily Butterfly Craft uses, you’ve guess it, doilies, with an addition of a few other basic craft supplies.
I personally loved this craft idea myself. It’s super fun using water colors on a doily because the paint beautifully expands, blends and mixes with other paint colors, creating gorgeous wings for our festive butterflies. Kids will love this step for sure! For further instructions, take a look below.
RELATED: Doily Pineapple Craft
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
Materials for Doily Butterfly Craft:
- Water colors (we used tempura cakes, our favorite paint!)
- Paint brushes
- Mini 1-1.5″ clothespins
- Pipecleaners (assorted colors)
- Permanent marker or pen
- Hot glue gun + glue
- Craft scissors
- Using the water colors, paint the doily and let dry. Drying takes very quick!
- Next, carefully “scrunch” the doily in the center and place into a clothespin.
- Cut a piece of pipecleaner of choice into about 2″ strip, bend to make antennae and hot glue to the back side of the clothespin.
- Lastly, using the permanent marker or pen, draw a smiley face for the butterfly.
watch this video
What is my child learning and improving?
- Creativity (picking the paint colors, pipecleaner color, designs and styles for their butterflies)
- Fine motor skills (holding the paint brush, bending the pipecleaner)
- Colors (talk to your child about the paint colors he/she is using to help them learn the colors)
You might also like these Spring crafts for kids
Have cardboard at home? Try these Recycled Bee craft!
Try this super sweet Paper Snail Craft too!
Leave a Reply