This Painting Heart Ice Cubes activity is so simple to set up and the kids will love it!
All you need is a heart shaped mold and a few basic craft supplies. Make the ice cubes the night before and you’ve got a super quick and easy activity done for the day. It’s an awesome activity to set-up whenever you want the kids to work on their own and stay independent and focused.
This was a winner with my kids. They thought it was so fun and unique to paint heart shaped ice cubes and both said they want to do this again!
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
Materials for Painting Heart Ice Cubes:
- Heart ice cube tray (or heart chocolate mold)
- Washable kids paint (we chose Valentine’s Day colors; pinks, purples, reds, white and a few others like blue and yellow)
- Paper plate
- Place water in the mold and freeze night before.
- Place all of the heart shaped ice cubes onto a tray with rim (I used a lid from their LEGO container). This will prevent the water from spilling once the ice cubes start to melt, along with the paint.
- Next, place a bit of desired washable kids paint colors onto a paper plate and set close to the tray.
more ice cube play for kids
Try this Ice Age Bin for a fun, cooling sensory bin!
Make this easy-to-prepare craft, Ice Painted Igloos!
watch this video
What is my child learning and improving?
- Hand-eye coordination (painting the slippery ice cubes)
- Sensory (feeling the coldness of the ice cubes, etc.)
- Fine motor skills (holding the paintbrush)
- Creativity (choosing colors, patterns, styles and designs for each heart)
- Focus and concentration
- Independence (great activity for building independence and working on your own)
It is a time-consuming activity, which is GREAT, right? I mean, my kids stayed busy painting the ice cubes away until they pretty much melted. Creating somewhat of a mess, but that’s where the tray with rims comes in handy!