My kids are in love with this Story Stones Activity, in fact, I am too! First of all, they were pretty fun to make (using only 2 materials FYI) and second, they’re kind of really fun to play with 🙂
When I gave a few of these Story Stones to my kids the first time, they were super excited and submerged in their creativity and kept coming up with amazing stories that I decided I’d make a whole bunch more of these stones! You can easily find rocks at the beach, lake and even stores like Hobby Lobby and Dollar Tree. You can also pick up some special stones with the kiddos, like us! My kids consider our Story Stones special because we’ve picked them up on our vacation in Cape Cod, Massachussets over the Summer!
By the way, I do have to mention how woonnnderful these Story Stones are for childs’ development. You’ll feel their creativity and imagination at work right away, as well as independency. They’ll, for sure, be busy with these little stones for quite some time!
More creative play ideas:
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
Materials For Story stones activity:
Using the colored permanent markers (and your best drawing abilities), draw simple illustrations/pictures on each stone.
Let me give you some ideas for pictures:
- Sun, clouds, rain cloud, thunder cloud, lightening
- House, garage, hospital, vet shop, store
- Tree, bush, flowers, pond
- Animals, birds, fish
- Cars, trucks, bus, train, airplane
There’s endless possibilities for creativity!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Creativity + Imagination (kids are using the stones to create their own stories, scenarios and big pictures)
- Fine motor skills (grasping the stones and placing them where they’d like)
- Independent focus play (kids are busy and focused and can play independently with these stones)