Enjoy the outdoors with this My Rock Collection Activity! It’s a super quick and easy, low prep kids activity that works on both gross and fine motor skills.
You’ll only need an egg carton and markers to make this fun activity happen! I prepped this in under a minute and told my kids we’re going on a rock hunt outside. They absolutely love hunting activities (that’s why we do them so often) and they were totally thrilled looking around the whole neighborhood for different rocks. We found many different ones, many varied in color and size and the whole hunting experience was an eye opener, in a sense. They had so much fun learning about them. Afterwards, we brought them inside to “inspect”. I brought in a flashlight and a small magnifying glass to take a closer look and the kiddos felt so special observing the rocks like they’re some sort of scientists!
Take a closer look at the areas of development kids are learning and improving below!
More outdoor activities your kids will love:
All activities should be supervised by an adult. This post contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! Read our disclosure policy here.
MATERIALS for My rock collection activity:
- Egg carton
- Colored permanent markers
- Inside, at the top of the egg carton write “My Rock Collection”. I used different colors of permanent markers to make it more fun!
- Now head outdoors with your little ones on a fun, outdoor hunt for rocks!
What is my child learning and improving?
- Gross motor skills (children are running around, walking, bending over to pick up the rocks, exercising and strengthening their lower part of the body such as thighs, legs, ankles, feet)
- Fine motor skills (using their fingers to pick up the small, or large rocks)
- Cognitive skills (kids are thinking, matching, comparing, analyzing each rock/object)
TIP- when doing this activity with your children, discuss each rock, its color, shape, size, weight.
How fun and simple is this “My rock collection” activity?
Leave a Reply